I am currently down 19lbs 5 weeks in and I am still on track! Yay me! I joined the gym and have actually gone more than once! I even showed up this morning at 715am – worked out on the Stair Treadmill (basically climbing stairs – not the old school stairmaster style) which for 30 minutes earns me 8 (yes EIGHT!) Weight Watchers points – which for excercise is amazing! I really feel it too. For example, 30 minutes on the treadmill where I do on average to start 5mph or less (speaking machine speed here) it will earn me 3 Weight Watchers points for 30 minutes – so why not work the same amount of time, burn more and get more out of my time at the gym? It feels great to sweat and I have already improved in only a few sessions.
To be honest, I am no longer a fan of the treadmill, so if there is one thing that keeps me going to the gym (even in a snowstorm) obviously it works for me right now.
My second new favourite thing is Lukewarm Lemon Water. I literally just started yesterday morning and it honestly is AMAZING! I plan on drinking a glass everyday especially in one day what a difference it made – insanity that something cant effect your body in a positive way so quickly! I looked around online and found an awesome blog from a girl named Beth at www.tasty-yummies.com so check her out. According to her these are the 10 Benefits to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Every Morning…let me know if you want to try it to – it is awesome and I am only on Day 2! Skip to the last paragraph if you already know all the wonderful effects of this magic potion!
10 Benefits to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Every Morning (www.tasty-yummies.com)
1) Aids Digestion. Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. It’s atomic composition is similar to saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion. Lemons are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract. The digestive qualities of lemon juice help to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating. The American Cancer Society actually recommends offering warm lemon water to cancer sufferers to help stimulate bowel movements.
2) Cleanses Your System / is a Diuretic. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials in part because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Therefore toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy. The citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
3) Boosts Your Immune System. Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemons demonstrates anti-inflammatory effects, and is used as complementary support for asthma and other respiratory symptoms plus it enhances iron absorption in the body; iron plays an important role in immune function. Lemons also contain saponins, which show antimicrobial properties that may help keep cold and flu at bay. Lemons also reduce the amount of phlegm produced by the body.
4) Balances pH Levels. Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. Sure, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). Lemons contain both citric and ascorbic acid, weak acids easily metabolized from the body allowing the mineral content of lemons to help alkalize the blood. Disease states only occur when the body pH is acidic. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation.
5) Clears Skin. The vitamin C component as well as other antioxidants helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and it helps to combat free radical damage. Vitamin C is vital for healthy glowing skin while its alkaline nature kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne. It can actually be applied directly to scars or age spots to help reduce their appearance. Since lemon water purges toxins from your blood, it would also be helping to keep your skin clear of blemishes from the inside out. The vitamin C contained in the lemon rejuvenates the skin from within your body.
6) Energizes You and Enhances Your Mood. The energy a human receives from food comes from the atoms and molecules in your food. A reaction occurs when the positive charged ions from food enter the digestive tract and interact with the negative charged enzymes. Lemon is one of the few foods that contain more negative charged ions, providing your body with more energy when it enters the digestive tract. The scent of lemon also has mood enhancing and energizing properties. The smell of lemon juice can brighten your mood and help clear your mind. Lemon can also help reduce anxiety and depression.
7) Promotes Healing. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C), found in abundance in lemons, promotes wound healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage. As noted previously, vitamin C also displays anti-inflammatory properties. Combined, vitamin C is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of good health and recovery from stress and injury.
8) Freshens Breath. Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. Be aware that citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should be mindful of this. No not brush your teeth just after drinking your lemon water. It is best to brush your teeth first, then drink your lemon water, or wait a significant amount of time after to brush your teeth. Additionally, you can rinse your mouth with purified water after you finish your lemon water.
9) Hydrates Your Lymph System. Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body. When your body is deprived of water, you can definitely feel the side effects, which include: feeling tired, sluggish, decreased immune function, constipation, lack of energy, low/high blood pressure, lack of sleep, lack of mental clarity and feeling stressed, just to name a few.
10) Aids in Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown people who maintain a more alkaline diet, do in fact lose weight faster. I personally find myself making better choices throughout the day, if I start my day off right, by making a health conscious choice to drink warm lemon water first thing every morning.
Everything is fantastic about it, so why not do it? Number 10 is a bonus, but 1 – 9 are all fabulous and don’t we all want to feel better, look better and get healthier? I am excited about this find, the fact that this is something I would have never done in my cool ranch doritos and pizza comas. I am really proud of myself that I am doing this, making these healthy changes and continually do so – regardless of the excuses I could make.
Again, I must give a sincere credit to the #wwsisterhood on Instagram – my God! The people (mostly women) on there amaze me everyday and keep me inspired. I am telling you, if you are looking for inspiration, just start looking up #weightwatchers and you will see amazing results that will get you inspired. I truly believe that I will do this, not only because I am working hard to achieve it, but there is a belief inside of me that I can and will achieve my goals this time (plus my fabulous girlfriends who are genuinely rooting for me and want me to succeed). I know it will take time, the time will pass anyway, I am ok with that. I know I will have bad days or perhaps a few in a row, but as long as I keep going and never give up – I will succeed!
Why can’t I do this? Not an option, I will do this. I don’t doubt my strength, passion and power and all I can say is look out mirrors….I am coming for you! I am the only one who can make the changes to make it possible to live the life in a body that I have only dreamed of and 2014 is my year to get to a much better place than I have ever been before. I am drinking the light Weight Watchers / Instragram fam koolaid and loving it! I WILL DO THIS!
This is my life, and I am taking control of it…finally!
Blog Soon, PFF
Follow me on Instagram: @phattofittofab